What is an Asthma Action Plan?
People of all ages with asthma can learn to control it. If you or your child have asthma, an Asthma Action Plan can help you to know when your asthma is getting worse, and what to do.
With your help, your primary care doctor or nurse will put together an Asthma Action Plan for you to take home and follow.
AN ASTHMA ACTION PLAN LETS YOU KNOW:
- What things make your asthma worse (for example, dust, smoke, furry animals)
- What to watch for when your asthma is getting worse
- What medicines to take
- When to take your medicines
- When to call your primary care doctor or nurse
- When to get emergency help
Your primary care doctor or nurse will show you how to use a peak flow meter. A peak flow meter lets you know when your asthma is getting worse before you have any problems. Your peak flow meter numbers will be part of your Asthma Action Plan.